When mounting a flat screen television above a fireplace, the completed project will enhance the viewing experience while updating the look of a room.
ANCHORING A TV OVER A FIREPLACE
Precautions must be considered to ensure that the heat doesn’t damage the TV. Before installation, experiment with thermometers to make sure that the temperatures generated by the fireplace during normal use are within the heat guidelines in the user manual. Anchoring a flat TV above a fireplace is usually harmless with the appropriate distance and proper ventilation.
Before You Get Started
The proper wall mount must be chosen from the variety of sizes and styles specific to the type of display. Screen height, as well as electronic specifications, must also be considered. When unsure of the best wall mount, contact a professional electrician or television installer.
· Safety Goggles
· Marker / Pencil
· Hammer Drill
· Standard Drill
· Drill Bit
· Shop-Vac or Wire Brush
· The next step is to select the appropriate anchoring system to mount the television. There are a number of different types of concrete fasteners that can be used to anchor the mounting brackets to brick, block, or mortar. Using a Concrete Sleeve Anchor or Tapcon® Concrete Screws may provide the most consistent holding values in a variety of base materials. The holding value is dependent on the diameter of the anchor and depth of embedment.
· When anchoring into brick, it is sometimes necessary to anchor to the mortar joint, depending on where the holes in the bracket line-up. Mortar can be an excellent base material to improve holding values but will depend on the quality and quantity of the mortar in the joint. Anchoring into brick only will also work in some applications.
· Determine the type, size and number of concrete fasteners needed.
Step by Step Instructions
Concrete Sleeve Anchors can be installed in a few steps. Basic instructions follow:
Make sure the diameter of the anchor used will fit correctly through the holes in the bracket/wall mount.
· Cut out and install the wall-boxes that you will use for cabling.
· Using a level, determine the desired height of the display. Next, attach the mount to the brick fireplace.
· Using a hammer drill, drill a hole (the same diameter as the anchor diameter) using a carbide-tipped masonry bit.
· Clear the hole of all debris using compressed air, a shop-vac or wire brush
· Insert the Sleeve Anchor into the hole and make sure it is secure and positioned correctly. Continue to insert each anchor into the correct bracket.
· Position the mount in the desired position. Tighten all nuts to ensure the mount is secure.
· Carefully hang the flat screen to the mount, making sure to check that any safety tabs are in place for extra security.
The installation of a Tapcon® Concrete Screw is also straightforward:
1/4" diameter Tapcons use a 3/16" bit and 3/16" diameter Tapcons use a 5/32" bit.
· Cut out and install the wall-boxes that will be used for cabling.
· Attaching the mount to the brick fireplace is the next step. Using a level, determine the desired height of the display before attempting to install the wall mount.
· Using a hammer drill, drill holes using the correct diameter carbide-tipped masonry bit for the concrete screw diameter in use.
· Clear the hole of debris.
· Position the mount in the exact position. Drive the screw into the hole with a standard drill and continue until all brackets are firmly in place.
· Carefully hang the flat screen television to the mount, checking to ensure that safety tabs are in place for extra holding.
As with any anchoring project, it is important to keep safety in mind and follow instructions carefully. Always remember to wear safety goggles, handle all tools with extra care and follow all technical specifications. This article is meant to serve only as a basic explanation of concrete fasteners. Always refer to manufacturer's instructions or consult a contracting expert during any anchoring project.