The brand name of the Hilti, Inc. wedge anchor is the Hilti Kwik Bolt 3. The Kwik Bolt 3 is the most current version of the Kwik Bolt that is sold by Hilti. The Kwik Bolt 3 should not be used in brick or block base material because it is designed for use in solid concrete only. The Kwik Bolt 3 is manufactured in three different steel types: 304 stainless steel, 316 stainless steel, and standard, zinc plated carbon steel. The Kwik Bolt 3 is available in four different versions: the standard stud version that uses a nut & washer, flat countersunk, rod coupling, and ceiling. The Hilti Kwik Bolt does not need the bottom of the hole to be set because one end is threaded and each diameter and length is packaged with the correct size and number of nuts and washers. It is important when installing the Kwik Bolt 3 to use a hammer drill and a carbide bit for drilling the hole in the concrete base material.
Installation Instructions for the Kwik Bolt 3 (Stud Version)
1. A hammer drill must be used to drill a hole into the concrete. The hole diameter to be drilled is the same as the diameter of the anchor being installed. The Kwik Bolt 3 does not need the bottom of the hole to be set. The hole depth must be a minimum of one anchor diameter deeper than the anchor will be embedded into the concrete. When the diameter of the hole in the fixture is large enough for the carbide bit to fit through, the fixture can be used as a template.
2. Clean out the hole.
3. With a hammer, strike the top of the Kwik Bolt 3 until a minimum of 6 threads are below the surface of the fixture.
4. Using a wrench, tighten the nut to the installation torque value recommended.
Installation Instructions for the Countersink Kwik Bolt 3
1. Drill a hole in concrete using a hammer drill.
2. Clean the hole out completely.
3. Thread post nut completely onto the Kwik Bolt 3 anchor body and tap anchor with a hammer through the fixture and into the hole.
4. With a screwdriver, turn the post nut clockwise 3 full turns.
5. Using a hammer, tap the head of the Kwik Bolt 3 back into the hole.
6. Tighten post nut with a screwdriver.
Installation Instructions for the Rod Coupling Kwik Bolt 3
1. Using a proper hammer drill, drill a hole into the concrete base material.
2. Clean out the hole and remove any debris.
3. Using a hammer, tap the Kwik Bolt (with the rod coupling attached) into the hole.
4. Tighten the rod coupling using a wrench.
Installation Instructions for Hilti Ceiling Kwik Bolt (HHDCA)
1. Drill a 1/4" hole in the concrete using a hammer drill.
2. Tap in the ceiling Kwik Bolt with a hammer.
3. Using the claw part of the hammer, pry downward to set the anchor.
The Kwik Bolt 3 can be used in concrete and is effective in numerous applications. Before using a Kwik Bolt for any project, it is essential to determine which type of anchor is needed. Using the proper Kwik Bolt and following the instructions above will help ensure a successful installation.
As with any anchoring project, it is important to keep safety in mind and follow instructions carefully. Always remember to wear safety goggles, handle all tools with extra care and follow all technical specifications. This article is meant to serve only as a basic explanation of concrete fasteners. Always refer to manufacturer's instructions or consult a contracting expert during any anchoring project.