The brand name for the Hilti, Inc. wedge anchor is the Hilti Kwik Bolt 2. The Kwik Bolt 2 is not a standard item for Hilti, Inc. and must be ordered through their Special Order Department. The Kwik Bolt 3 is the standard wedge anchor design that is currently manufactured and stocked by Hilti. The Kwik Bolt 2 is designed to be used in concrete only and should not be installed in brick or block base material. The Kwik Bolt 2 is manufactured in carbon steel that is zinc plated and made from a 304 or 316 stainless steel. A special tamper proof Kwik Bolt 2 is available with a breakaway nut. The Hilti Kwik Bolt 2 is a non-bottom bearing wedge anchor. It is threaded on one end and comes packaged with the correct size and number of nuts and washers. It is important to use a hammer drill and a carbide bit for drilling the hole in the concrete when installing the Kwik Bolt 2.
Installation Instructions for the Kwik Bolt 2 (Stud Version)
1. Using a hammer drill, drill a hole in the concrete that is the same diameter as the diameter of the Kwik Bolt 2, with or without the fixture in place. The Kwik Bolt 2 works in a bottomless hole.
2. Clean out the hole with a blow out bulb, compressed air or vacuum.
3. With a two pound hammer, drive the Kwik Bolt 2 into the hole until a minimum of 6 threads is below the surface of the fixture.
4. Using a torque wrench, turn the nut clockwise and tighten to the recommended torque value. If a torque wrench is not used, tighten the nut to finger tight and then use a wrench to turn the nut several additional turns until the proper anchor setting is achieved.
Installation Instructions for the Hilti Tamper Proof Nut (HTN)
1. Using a hammer drill, drill a hole in the concrete the same diameter as the diameter of the bolt being used, with or without the fixture in place. The bolt works in a bottomless hole. Clean the hole of any debris before continuing with the installation.
2. Thread the tamper proof nut and protective sleeve onto the Kwik Bolt 2 so the dog point or impact section of the anchor is exposed. With a two pound hammer, drive the Kwik Bolt 2 into the hole until at least 6 threads are below the surface of the fixture.
3. Using an ordinary wrench, tighten the torque head until the nut breaks away in order to leave the protective sleeve spinning free.
4. The tamper-proof fastener is all that remains.
The Kwik Bolt 2 from Hilti, Inc. is a great concrete fastener that can be used in applications that require attaching a fixture to concrete. Before deciding to use the Hilti Kwik Bolt 2, make sure that your unique application will work with this anchor.